Monday, October 18, 2010

The Good Kind of Dutch Oven!


Source

Even if you only cook from time to time, I believe you need a good heavy Dutch/French oven pan. You can make just about anything in that sucker, and it can be used on the stove or in the oven. Soups, braises, risotto, pasta, etc. etc. etc. I really do use my Le Creuset French Oven for just about everything, except for deep frying. If you need to fry, and do not have an electric fryer, please opt for the non-coated cast iron Dutch oven instead.

The best part for me is that it even works well on my crappy rental home electric stove. The pan still heats evenly, and will hold the desired temperature for a good long time. I have also found that it cleans easily, even if there is oven-baked splatter on it.

I know it is not a cheap product. I own three French ovens and they were all gifts (my wedding and Christmas). But if I were not lucky enough to have such good gift givers in my life, I would have most certainly saved the money and bought one on my own. I know I will eventually end up buying different sizes when I do have the extra income. You can also look for Le Cruset seconds, which have only the smallest imperfections and are offered at a 40 percent discount.

What cooking vessel is your favorite, and why?

1 comment:

  1. You know I agree with you. A well made Dutch oven is awesome. Versatile and lasts forever.

    I need to cook more on the All-Clad saute pans. Need to master it.

    ReplyDelete