Friday, October 22, 2010

It is my Thanksgiving, and I’ll keep my Stove Top if I want to!

I was having a discussion with my crazy cafeteria cook mother last night about who is doing what for Thanksgiving. I offered to make the stuffing ahead of time and bring it over, especially because it is pretty easy. Two packages of Stove Top, a few add ins, and done. Having this as one of the key items on my Thanksgiving table may not fit in with my overall cooking style. I do generally prefer as homemade as I can get. I have even drifted away from using jarred pasta sauces even in weeknight meals such as baked ziti. BUT there is something very pleasing about keeping that dish as is. No tweaks, nothing fancy, and it is perfect.


Source

I have consumed homemade stuffing, and it was fine. Nothing was wrong with it, but it just didn’t have that THING I was looking for. I have zero interest in finding a new recipe, especially because most read like this to me:

3 cups Challa bread – homemade by an old Jewish grandmother – cut into chunks and sun dried under cheese cloth on a perfect 60 degree day
2 organic eggs (from your own hens is best)
1 onion, 1 stalk of celery, 2 carrots (again, home grown, or purchased from an organic farmer that only uses imported water buffalo shat as fertilizer)
½ cup cherries (picked yourself and dried yourself)
½ pound pork sausage (from freshly slaughtered pigs, please)
½ teaspoon thyme, and ½ teaspoon sage – soaked in ¼ cup warmed holy water blessed by the Pope

And people do all this for something that is going to be shoved up a birds ass and then baked for 4 hours? Yeah, I’ll pass.

What classic and not at all fancy family recipe is in the “do not mess with” zone for you?

5 comments:

  1. I love stuffing, I don't care if it's Stove Top or homemade or anything in between. Stuffing is my jam.

    I just thought the internet should know that about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stuffing rules not only my world, but several other worlds as well.

    You know what I always liked? The corn casserole from Dad's Thanksgivings. Easily the best thing (only good thing?) about going there. Need to get that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should clarify and point out that I mean the Stove Top. Though anything with Holy Thyme has to be worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would the combination Jewish bread and the Catholic thyme cause the stuffing to burst into flame, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would create a very conflicted yet pious bird.

    ReplyDelete