Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Meat soaked in gravy? YES PLEASE!

Yesterday I was on the lookout for “an excellent” recipe for pot roast. One Google search later, I stumbled upon the extremely simple sort of recipe I was looking for.

Original Recipe

Of course, me being me, I had to tweak it some.

3 lbs chuck roast – silver skin/thick fat on the outside trimmed, but no additional fabrication necessary
2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup (use the Healthy Request variety of sodium intake is an issue for you)
1 package dry onion soup mix (1 ounce)
1 Knorr beef bouillon cube - This is optional, I like a little more beef flavor. You can add half of it, or none at all.
1 ½ cups of water
1 medium onion sliced thin
1 stalk of celery finely diced
4 carrots cut into ¾ to 1 inch chunks
8-10 sprigs of thyme
1 tsp corn starch
salt
pepper
flour

Lightly salt and pepper the meat, then dust with flour. Brown the meat on both sides in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil.

Combine the water, condensed soup, onion soup mix, and bouillon cube. You will have about 4 cups of liquid at this point.

Place half of the vegetables and thyme in the bottom of a crock pot. Add the meat and then top with the remaining vegetables and herbs. Pour the sauce on, and let this sucker cook for at least 4 hours on high, and 8-10 on low heat.

When the meat is done, pull it out of the pot and chunk/shred it up. Or don’t, serve it in slices. Do whatever you want with it. Although I do suggest putting the cut up meat back in the gravy, because it makes it even better.

While the meat is out of the pot add the teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved with a little bit of cold water. This will help tighten the sauce up a little bit.

Serve with potatoes or noodles. I personally can’t get enough potatoes, so that is my default option.


Source

That isn't my rig, but it sure is pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment